42% say they drink while working from home due to coronavirus.
By Kyle McCarthy with Marcus Honesta
For more than a month now, millions of employees have been working from home to prevent the spread of COVID-19. This recent shift to remote work has certainly been an adjustment for all; we have discovered that 54% fear layoffs at their company, a decline in synergy with co-workers has been the biggest obstacle while working from home, 62% of working parents are unable to juggle childcare while working from home, and according to teachers, less than half of students are showing up for their remote classes.
The good news is that least the advertising industry is leading the world in one field. Having a drink! For years, before the ‘very serious millennial’s’ took control of the industry, most creative work that was any good was done on the back of a Bar Coaster, or at a not so quiet lunch. It seemed for a long time that this, like the dinosaurs, had become a thing of the past. But fear not, its back!
Every day hundreds of thousands of professionals use Fishbowl to discuss workplace issues, allowing us to survey these employees on relevant work-related topics.
In their most recent survey, they decided to survey professionals to see just how prevalent drinking on the job has become amid the COVID-19 pandemic. They asked professionals on Fishbowl one simple question:
“Do you ever drink alcohol while working from home?”
Professionals could answer with Yes or No and the survey ran April 15 through April 18, 2020. The survey was answered by 12,895 verified professionals from across the U.S.A. on the Fishbowl app and included companies such as JP Morgan, Facebook, McKinsey, Tesla, Bank of America, BCG, Deloitte, Amazon, Edelman, Nike, Google, KPMG, and thousands of others.
Coronavirus Survey Results
- Overall, 41.76% responded that they drink while on the clock and working from home.
- Advertising and marketing agency employees had the highest percentage of employees answering with Yes, with 49.14%.
Looking for more data showing the impact Covid-19 is having on employees? Here’s what we found in four other recent surveys:
- 31% of employees say ‘less synergy with co-workers’ is the biggest obstacle while working from home
- 54% of employees fear there will be layoffs at their company, due to fallout from Covid-19.
- 60% of working professions said that the Covid-19 pandemic has caused clients to pause or cancel work.
- 62% of working parents are unable to juggle working from home and childcare.
- According to teachers, less than half of students are showing up for their remote classes.